My Entry for LifeByMe.Com

The editors asked me to write a piece on "What's Meaningful To Me" here's the excerpt....

The most meaningful aspect of my life I would have to say is my inner drive to reach the top and surpass the goals I set for myself.  Most people would find reaching the goal itself as meaningful.  When I was 20 years old I made the decision to not just earn my Bachelors degree but to go one step further and study for my Master’s.

Being goal oriented and task driven has been important to me.  I always exceeded the expectations of my peers and family members.  I think it stems from my thankfulness to my Grandmother who migrated to the U.S. from Trinidad & Tobago, WI. She risked everything and struggled a lot during her early years alone in the country.  She did it for me.  I owe it to my family to be the best that I can be.  One never knows their full potential until they push themselves past their comfort zone.

I think everyone loses their balance at certain turning points in their life.  I never give myself too much time to feel bad about things or negatively reflect on a situation.  My personality allows me to see the glass as always being half full.

Negativity is the one thing that can stop people from leading meaningful lives.  I idolize individuals like Oprah, Beyonce, and the late Steve Jobs.  They take weren’t afraid of taking risks and they persevered.  People focus on things that they don’t have thus preventing them from reaching their full potential. I think negative thoughts, forces, and atmospheres create unhealthy and less meaningful lives.

Surround yourself with those that love you and believe in whatever you are doing wholeheartedly.  I love this quote from Reese Witherspoon’s character Elle Woods in Legally Blonde “You must always have faith in others and most importantly you must always have faith in yourself.”

I need to speak to Oprah (lol). She is my inspiration and it would be an honor to have a conversation with her.  I think she is the most influential person of our time.  She represents strong educated women and I think that is a powerful accomplishment.  I am trying to let go of a lot of things I didn’t understand as a child.  I don’t think there’s a point you reach when you ever stop growing.  The more you grow the stronger you get.

A few months from now I’d probably be singing the same song but a little bit more in tuned.  The more I accomplish, the more I want.

Comments

Popular Posts