Free Your Mind...The Rest Will Follow

Its sad to say that mental slavery still exists.  Its the worst kind.  Society can tell you what they want you to believe but only the strong survive.  Take the Wall Street protests for example...people were upset and when enough people get upset its kind of impossible to quiet those many voices.  As a minority (black and female) I could easily get caught up in the hype.  Your never gonna make it...your family is poor...black people are not accepted here...your mom and dad are crack addicts...dont expect to go to far....THIS IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT!

I think as minorities we have to take more responsibility for ourselves, each other, and the future of our race.  You have to free your mind and not accept the crap society will tell you.  Yes slavery existed...yes minorities are treated poorly...yes we are more prone to arrests, abuse, abandonment, not finding a job, not getting the proper education...but we know all of this already.  Instead of using it as an excuse when we are faced with adversity....Why not find a way to change the way things are.  The excuses must come to an end and complacent attitudes as well.  If you want more...eff your skin color...get more...We don't have to chase the scraps...we just have to have stronger backbones and work twice as hard...and there is nothing wrong with that.  I am scared for the generation behind me.  What will become of our future?  If you tell your little black child...you know 75 is the best you can do and its okay you didn't get 100...what message is that sending.  The fact that we are minorities and we have to overcome so much...there should be a bigger sense of responsibility...no?  I grew up in the inner city.  I went to a predominantly white university.  I was the only black student in many of my classes and I always sat in the front.  My views were usually much different than my classmates...but nevertheless I spoke the truth.  Its sad that people grow up believing they are 2nd class because of skin color or because you have to check a special box while filing certain official documents...I will never be a victim of my race...I don't care that my skin color is not accepted...my voice and thoughts will be though!

“Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be” -George Sheehan

Comments

Popular Posts